Wednesday, November 10, 2010

and I thought the Tilling took time and energy

Now came the time to build the trellis system to support the Vines. I researched what would be needed, purchased the items and started digging.

Man, did I learn a lesson quick. I was using a Manual post hole digger  and I needed to get at least 2 feet down and after about 6 inches ran into hard clay and rocks.


After getting one hole down the required length and half of the next one I decided to see what my other options were.

The local rental place had two different "hole diggers..The first one was $25 and the 2nd one was $50.. I went the cheap route as it looked like it would work just fine:
Man was I wrong!
Even with all my weight on it I was barely making a dent.
Spent the rest of the day switching back and forth from the Manual to gas post diggers and finding muscles I didn't even know I had.
If I ever decide to add onto my Vineyard I'll definitely spend the extra dollars to rent this bad boy:

No comments: