Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Spring 2013 - cold start

May 3rd of this year we still had snow falling and at least 6 inches of fresh snow on the ground. In 2012 we were in the mid 70's for the same week.

Even with that, bud break was only about 5 days behind last year. Here is some video I took on May 26th after my Spring cleaning:


Seeing as Spring was upon us, and next year's crop had started I decided it was time to bottle the 2012 harvest.
Looking back at last year, I bottled at the end of February which in hind sight was probably a little early. but I was very impatient to try my first years vintage.

I ended up doubling my output from 2012 My first years output was 7 & 1/2 bottle. This year I ended up with 15 & 1/2 bottle.
2012 vintage was a Frontenac and Marquette blend.
2013 vintage is a Frontenac, Marquette and Frontenac Gris Vintage.
With any luck next year I should be able to make just Frontenac and Marquette vintages without blending as my crop output continues to mature.

Here is video of the finished product:
2013 - FronQuetteGris

No comments: